Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Gelato - Lucky For Me I Don't Live in Italy!

On occasion I write on another blog, Bytes of Food, where the writers talk about is "all things food".  My latest blog there is about the Santa Monica Farmers Market, one of my favorite places to hang out.  Since it is summer and I am feeling lazy, this is going to be a short blog.  I would suggest you read that entry for the background.

Ice cream is a favorite food for everyone in my family.  When I think about what I would NEED on a deserted island, ice cream would definitely be up there.  I sometimes think I could eat it 3 meals a day.  And I know how unhealthy that would be.  So one of the ways I make sure that ice cream is not continuously in my house is that I do not buy it.  The way I satisfy my craving for it is that when I really want it I make it from scratch.  I can assure you that minimizes how often I eat it.

I prefer gelato to ice cream.  The difference is that gelato is made from eggs and whole milk, not light cream.  It has 5-7% fat (by law for something to carry the label ice cream it must have at least 10% fat).  Because it is churned at a slower speed it gets less air in it and is more dense.  It is also is served slighter warmer.  My favorite flavor is crema.  Most Americans think of it as vanilla, but it isn't.  It is more delicate, and I have never seen it in the grocery stores.   The only way to enjoy it in the United States is to make it yourself.  So here is a recipe for it.  You can serve it with the fruit recipe that is in my blog in Bytes of Food. 

Crema (or custard) Gelato

2 1/4 cups whole milk
6 egg yolks
2/3 c. heavy cream
pinch of salt

Combine milk and salt in medium saucepan and heat slowly until bubbles form around the edges.  Take off heat. 
Blend the sugar and egg yolks until very thick and smooth.  Add the hot milk gradually, and then put mixture into the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.  Remove from heat and put in a bowl of ice water and stir for 2 minutes until cool.  Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
Beat the cream until soft beaks form.  Add to custard mixture.  Put into your ice cream maker.
Makes 1 1/2 quarts.

IMPORTANT NOTES
1. Since no flavoring is added, the fresher the ingredients the better this will taste.
2. I like using free-range chicken eggs.  The yolks are usually more yellow which gives the gelato a color with more depth.
3. Patience is the key word.  If you don't take your time stirring you will overcook the eggs.  If that happens, just strain your mixture to get out the egg lumps.
4. If you want to add to this, you can mix in pieces of fresh fruits or candies after it is made.  If you put it in while making the ice cream, they tend to freeze.

And now I am off to the kitchen to make gelato.............

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dr. Paterno! (I mean Vicki) This is Rachel (strauss) Rilinger, great to see this and I am excited to see you blogging!

    ReplyDelete