Saturday, March 12, 2011

Got Help to Give?

The American people are incredibly generous and whenever there is a major event we are always ready to lend a hand.  For international events like the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, if you are looking for a place to donate money  may I suggest Doctors Without Borders.  This organization helps people in natural disasters and won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1999.  For more information and to donate see: www.doctorswithoutborders.org  Also, you can wait as the Japanese sort out and analyze what they have lost and require immediately.  Having done some medical disaster work, I know it takes time to figure out what the status is, and also there will be even greater needs in the weeks and months to come. So, it is okay to pause but don't forget your impulse to help and see what you can do in the weeks to come.

While you are waiting to see what you can do on an international front, why not take this weekend to prepare your own home?  How many of you on the West coast have your earthquake supplies together?  Mine sit in a big metal (not very aesthetic) trashcan in the backyard.   What I will be doing is going through that can and updating the food.  It's kind of old.  I'd eat it, but I wouldn't be happy.
Medical kits are also an important part of emergency supplies.  Although I have access to the stuff in a doctor's office, I found I never got around to putting together a kit.  I found a group that has done it in a compact way and I bought theirs.  I have a variety of different ones:  one that I keep in my earthquake kit, a small one for small trips and a bigger one for bigger trips.  The trick is that when you use something from the kit, you need to replace it at the end of the trip IMMEDIATELY.  Otherwise, on the next trip it won't be there.  And you NEVER, NEVER, NEVER,  borrow from the emergency kit.  And finally, these kits do not have children supplies.  So as soon as you get them you must supplement them with appropriate children medication and doses, as well as any special needs you have. I have gotten kits from these two companies, http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/, www.chinookmed.com, but you can find them in many outdoor stores as well.

Finally, do you have any housewarming gifts to buy, or are you going to a baby shower in the near future?  I give atypical gifts.  I buy medical kits, or earthquake supplies for people for their new homes.  I get baby proofing stuff instead of "pink party dresses" for their new babies.  Hopefully, the gifts I give will never be used!

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Vicki. The website resources really help us sort it all out. We should all be updating our earthquake sits, as much as we do not want to think about a disaster. Do you also stock all your cars with earthquake kits?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reminder about the cars. My old car is stocked, but I bought a car 2 years ago and forgot to do it. Also, I always keep an extra pair of tennis shoes in my cars. That's left over from when my daughter's school was 5 miles from my work and in case of an earthquake I wanted to "run" to get to her as quickly as possible. Now, it's so I will be able to walk to wherever I am needed.

    ReplyDelete