Thursday, March 17, 2011

Understanding the Radiation Risk

As I read the news about the radiation plumes coming from the Japanese nuclear reactors I am having flashbacks from when I was a young mother in 1986 and the Chernobyl disaster occurred.  It didn't matter how much reassurance I got from the "government officials"; it could not quell my panic for my child.  I would like to tell you how I finally dealt with my sense of dread and perhaps it might help you deal with any anxiety that you feel as the radiation plume reaches the United States.  Obviously, anything that happens here pales compared to what is happening in Japan.  But humans will worry about their own safety even though they can have empathy for others who have it so much worse.  What I would suggest is learn the science of the disaster so that you can do your own analysis of the situation and understand what your own threat is.

Here is what I have learned and I will give you my references so that you can read them yourselves.  One of the main byproducts of nuclear plants is iodine 131.  As long as there are leaks this is released and will continue to form a plume that goes into the atmosphere.  Its half life is 5 hours to 7 days.  It is anticipated that the radioactive plume will reach Southern California (where I live) late Friday, March 18. (Path of Radiation Plume)  The combination of the amount of time it takes to cross the Pacific and the relative short half life of the radioactive iodine decreases its radioactivity before it reaches the United States. Therefore, the  experts are able to say that although there will be measurable radioactivity, there is little risk for the United States.  They are also basing this on an analysis of what happened in Chernobyl in 1986.
But if you look carefully at the the data from Chernobyl, there was a group that was at higher risk than the others:   the children.  Now, don't panic because if you understand what put them at risk you will understand that this situation for American children is not comparable.  Thyroid radiation, which seems to have been the biggest problem, was as a result of drinking fresh cow's milk.  This is primarily because the cows grazed on fields where there was radioactive fallout.  It seems that radioactive iodine concentrates in cow's milk (and breast milk). There was a much lesser problem from eating contaminated fresh vegetables.  In 1986, although unnecessary because the cows that produced the milk that my child was drinking were not eating grass where there was radioactive fallout, I felt better by giving my child powdered milk.  (She however, wasn't happy - she didn't like the taste.)  After a week or so, I switched back to fresh milk as my rational self took over.  I remembered that I was the one with the problem (my anxiety) and the milk was fine.  Going back to the idea of radioactive decay;  canned food and grain products that had been stored for weeks or months after the leak pose no risk because the radiation decayed.

Because of our distance from Japan, the cows will not be eating contaminated feeds.  Our food sources should be fine.  Many people have bought and want to give their families KI (potassium iodine.)  KI prophylaxis works, but should only be used by people who have truly been exposed to large amounts of radiation or who are going to be.  Don't give your children KI.  "There is no increased risk of harmful levels of radiation exposure in the United States" (1)  KI, among other things, can cause hypothyroidism, and this is more of a risk in children because of improper dosing.  If it makes you feel better, use iodized salt.

Looking at the data, unless something unforeseen happens, we are not at risk from this disaster.  So instead of worrying about how this might affect you, put effort into disaster preparedness where you live.  Because where ever that is, there is something worth preparing for!

1.  Public Health Advisory County of Los Angeles March 15, 2011

2.  Guidance  Potassium Iodide as a Thyroid Blocking Agent in Radiation Emergencies
US Dept of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Admin, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) Dec 2001 Procedural



3.  POLICY STATEMENT


Radiation Disasters and Children

Committee on Environmental Health
statement of reaffirmation for this policy was published on May 1, 2007.



PEDIATRICS Vol. 111 No. 6 June 2003, pp. 1455-1466

1 comment:

  1. Hi Vicki,

    Great Post! Thanks! I am passing it on to my many anxious and paranoid friends.

    Here is another nuclear info link that you might find interesting http://mitnse.com/

    Cheers,
    Phil

    ReplyDelete